As we all know during winter season, it become very hard to cop up with some severe ice and snow storms that could be dangerous for outdoor utility lines, and in these situation it become very difficult to store food safely especially in the absence of power. The here in this article we are discussing steps that we have to take in this situation:
Prefer to Get Yourself Prepared for any type of Emergency:
- The most important thing that you should do during winter season is to keep the appliance thermometers in your house refrigerator and freezer. Actually this will be the best way to keep your food safe at the time of power outage. Normally safe temperatures would be 40 °F in the refrigerator it should be 0°F in the blast chiller.
- Next thing that you should do to save your food from in the absence of electricity is to freeze water in one quart plastic storage bags or even in small containers so that you could use it to place around the food containers in the absence of electricity, so that you could save it from decay. But keep in mind that you don’t have to fill it to the fullest.
- Next thing that you should do is to freeze all the refrigerated itemsjust like leftovers, fresh meat, poultry and milk that are not required immediately. This will definitely help you to keep them at a harmless temperature longer.
- Next thing that you should know about is where you have placed the dry ice or block ice.So that you could use it instantly when needed. Especially in the absence of electricity.
Things to do in the Absence of Power:
- So when the power goes out you should prefer to keep the doors of refrigerator and freezer shut down. So that cold air will remain inside the refrigerator and keep the food cool.By doing so you can keep the food cool by 4 hours without electricity.
- Another thing that you should know about is that a freezer could actually hold its temperature for almost 48 hours. It will be not opened frequently in the absence of electricity.
- Next thing that you should prefer to do is to place the frozen meat or poultry in a tray so that if in the absence of electricity it begin thawing, then their juices didn’t drip over other foods.
- Next thing that you can do in the absence of light for keeping the food safe in freezer is to buy so that you could use it. You can simply place it within the refrigerator and it will keep it as cold as possible.
Things to Do When Power Will comes Back On:
So when the electricity will come back again then you should prefer to check inside temperature of your refrigerator and freezer. After that you should prefer to discard all the perishable food just like meat, seafood, eggs, poultry or any type of leftovers that has been kept above 40 °F for more than two hours.